Archive for April, 2010
SO… It’s almost May and haven’t blogged much because I’ve been so freaking busy. Here’s a recap of my life in JUST the last two weeks: I put in my notice at work. My (not) boyfriend got laid off at his job (Last Tuesday). I’m having a yard sale to sell all my stuff tomorrow. (on a business’s property since I’ve been kicked off my own lawn) The (not) boyfriend has already gotten a job (got an offer today). Same company, different position, and his dream location. (lucky him!!)
The voice in my head is screaming: “WHAT ABOUT ME??? Read the rest of this entry »
SO…Recently, I brought up the fact that I am Black when I was speaking with Penelope Trunk and that I had taken all racially identifying items off my resume to make sure I had a level playing field. She was a little speechless but awesome about it. I just shocked her world a little because she had to change her mental picture of me in her head. She didn’t realize I am Black. She even started a discussion on Brazen Careerist about it and this comment comes up:
“This girl is so convinced that race will cut her chances that she didn’t even let Penelope, her mentor, know that she’s black.”
I guess I don’t understand WHY I should be forced to have some grand “announcement” that I’m Black. Read the rest of this entry »
Here is a quick recap of my goals from March and how I did:
1. Figure out where I want to live. Raleigh – Moving in with my best friend and her mom
2. BLOG MORE! Still working on this one. I did increase my frequency this month.
3. Review the books I’m reading. I haven’t finished Parachute but I did finish “A Little Bit Married” and I will be reviewing that later this week.
4. Take better/more pictures. I took some awesome pictures at the St. Patrick’s Day Parade (http://www.flickr.com/photos/40985145@N03/sets/72157623445184753/)
5. Be Nicer….to Everyone Working on it and I hope others are too.
Now it’s time to talk about April! 1 month closer to my move!
- 1. Sell my stuff. Despite my love affair, I’m going to sell a lot of my possessions, including my bed. I realized that I can’t keep dragging material things around with me and it’s not worth the hassle trying to move everything.
2. Figure out my skills I know I want to help people but what skills do I have that can help me do this and will translate into a job? I’m off on Weds so I’m going to do the Flower Exercise in “What Color is Your Parachute” while I have some quiet time.
3. Walk more. I honestly get winded going up stairs. I need to get in shape and walking will be the first step in helping me AND I can get outside to enjoy the wonderful sunshine!
4. Bug Penelope for more help on my resume PT was helping me with my resume a few months ago and we made some great progress but I think we’ve both gotten away from it so with the BIG move coming up, I’m sure I will need her (and everyone else’s) help.
To participate in the meet-up:
1. Post a list of your career/life related goals for the current month, along with your checked off goals from the last month if you’d like, on your own blog.
2. Come back to BrazenCareerist.com network and leave a link to your post in the comments (*If you don’t have your own blog, feel free to share your list here in the comments to join in!)
3. Then, check out everyone else’s lists as they leave comments - click their links, visit their blogs, say hello, meet, greet and support each other because that’s what it’s all about!
This morning, lots of women dressed up SUPER nicely for Easter service. Was pantyhose part of your wardrobe? From church to the job interview, the pantyhose question is thrown back and forth endlessly. Looking on the web, it seems that pantyhose is a great topic of debate for women (and sometimes the men chime in) but it looks like there is only one true answer* that all should follow. Here are a few articles from each side:
I decided to take my pantyhose fears to the wonderful people at on last Monday’s #jobhuntchat (super awesome/smart/funny/insightful people). Here’s some of the convo:
sjhalestorm : @HappyWalks, I don’t generally wear pantyhose to interviews. Usually. #JobHuntChat
MsCareerGirl @HappyWalks:Q4- My answer? Hose are an interview MUST regardless of the weather. #jobhuntchat
JennSchooley @HappyWalks If I’m wearing pants, I buy a bunch of nude knee highs. Still professional and comfortable!
Workchic @HappyWalks Do not wear them if you feel uncomfortable wearing them. That will show through in your interview! #jobhuntchat
MegSaid Depends on job and city and time of year. RT @HappyWalks: so no answer on the pantyhose lol? I hate it so I don’t wear it
LaurenGav @HappyWalks Pantyhose is geo dependent; yes up north and even in Cali not so much in the south. #jobchat
JasmineBrooks1 @HappyWalks Purchase sheer pantyhose #jobhuntchat
talentline411 @Infoployment @MsCareerGirl @HappyWalks Worked with a senior recruiter who vehemently insisted women should wear hose 2 intervu #jobhuntchat
bitty_boop Me either lol RT @HappyWalks: @MsCareerGirl what if the hose doesn’t match your skin? Nude is actually not nude on me lol #jobhuntchat
MsCareerGirl @HappyWalks I don’t think they have to match your skin. I almost always wear black tights and I am pale as Casper the ghost.#JobHuntChat Q4
*So my answer that I’ve gotten out of all this is:
If you are going to feel out of place by not wearing them, do it. If you are like me and can’t stand them, don’t wear them. If someone turns me down for a job because I wasn’t wearing pantyhose, I’m sure I wouldn’t want to work for them long term anyway. As women, we are judged for SO many things on the job hunt but pantyhose shouldn’t be one of them! Let the real you shine through instead of being worried about if you picked the right color pantyhose that morning!
What do you say about pantyhose? Yay or Nay?
FYI: Panty & Hose are two very fun words to say outloud