Archive for the ‘brazen careerist’ Category
You know Chat Roulette? The place where you can video chat with people or penises? Well, Brazen Careerist just launched it’s own roulette, without the penises. Networking Roulette is a 3 minute chat session with people all over the hot social network, Brazen Careerist. There is no video so you have to hold your own with your words or your chat partner might “next” you. Read the rest of this entry »
SO…Recently, I brought up the fact that I am Black when I was speaking with Penelope Trunk and that I had taken all racially identifying items off my resume to make sure I had a level playing field. She was a little speechless but awesome about it. I just shocked her world a little because she had to change her mental picture of me in her head. She didn’t realize I am Black. She even started a discussion on Brazen Careerist about it and this comment comes up:
“This girl is so convinced that race will cut her chances that she didn’t even let Penelope, her mentor, know that she’s black.”
I guess I don’t understand WHY I should be forced to have some grand “announcement” that I’m Black. Read the rest of this entry »
Here is a quick recap of my goals from March and how I did:
1. Figure out where I want to live. Raleigh – Moving in with my best friend and her mom
2. BLOG MORE! Still working on this one. I did increase my frequency this month.
3. Review the books I’m reading. I haven’t finished Parachute but I did finish “A Little Bit Married” and I will be reviewing that later this week.
4. Take better/more pictures. I took some awesome pictures at the St. Patrick’s Day Parade (http://www.flickr.com/photos/40985145@N03/sets/72157623445184753/)
5. Be Nicer….to Everyone Working on it and I hope others are too.
Now it’s time to talk about April! 1 month closer to my move!
- 1. Sell my stuff. Despite my love affair, I’m going to sell a lot of my possessions, including my bed. I realized that I can’t keep dragging material things around with me and it’s not worth the hassle trying to move everything.
2. Figure out my skills I know I want to help people but what skills do I have that can help me do this and will translate into a job? I’m off on Weds so I’m going to do the Flower Exercise in “What Color is Your Parachute” while I have some quiet time.
3. Walk more. I honestly get winded going up stairs. I need to get in shape and walking will be the first step in helping me AND I can get outside to enjoy the wonderful sunshine!
4. Bug Penelope for more help on my resume PT was helping me with my resume a few months ago and we made some great progress but I think we’ve both gotten away from it so with the BIG move coming up, I’m sure I will need her (and everyone else’s) help.
To participate in the meet-up:
1. Post a list of your career/life related goals for the current month, along with your checked off goals from the last month if you’d like, on your own blog.
2. Come back to BrazenCareerist.com network and leave a link to your post in the comments (*If you don’t have your own blog, feel free to share your list here in the comments to join in!)
3. Then, check out everyone else’s lists as they leave comments - click their links, visit their blogs, say hello, meet, greet and support each other because that’s what it’s all about!
I joined another network on Brazen Careerist called “Monthly Goal Meet-Up”
To participate in the meet-up:
1. Post a list of your career/life related goals for the current month, along with your checked off goals from the previous month if you’d like, on your own blog
2. Come back to this group and leave a link to your post in the comments (*If you don’t have your own blog, feel free to share your list of goals in the comments section of the post to join in!)
3. Then, check out everyone else’s lists as they leave comments – click their links, visit their blogs, say hello, meet, greet and support each other because that’s what it’s all about!
So that’s what I’m doing! I’m late getting started but I guess you could say my February goal was to figure my shit out for March
I realize I need to be clear about what I need to accomplish in order to be on the move by April.
1. Figure out where I want to live. I finally got a call back about a sales position with a company that I’m interested in (I’ll know more tomorrow) and they have offices all over the USA so I have to be open to relocating anywhere. That’s pretty exciting to me because it opens up a ton of possibilities but there is always the chance that this falls through so I need to be prepared. After reading all the comments on my last post, I’m thinking Raleigh but I do need to explore a few more things before I decide totally.
2. BLOG MORE! I need to blog at least twice a week. I need to block out a chunk of time, sit down and write. I have a ton of ideas and blogging makes me focus.
3. Review the books I’m reading. Except for the trashy ones lol. I read romance novels to give me a little pick me up but I’m also currently reading “What Color is Your Parachute? 2010” and will be picking up anything anyone suggests in the comments.
4. Take better/more pictures. I spent big bucks on an awesome camera and I’m not taking photos with it. I’m doing a photo a day but most of the photos I’m taking suck. I know part of this is because I really want to get outside and I can’t because it’s cold as Fuck and I’m a Southern Girl at heart…I DON’T do cold very well. I’m also not feeling very inspired lately with this whole strange relationship I’m going through.
5. Be Nicer….to Everyone I realized I was a bitch to someone online and I didn’t mean to be. I was being honest and I realize that I could use some nicer words to still make the same point but I didn’t stop & think before I hit post. We all need a bit of kindness. We need to give love to those around us to get in back into our hearts also and God knows I need some love lol.
What is at least 1 goal you are setting for yourself for March?
In order to have a “proper” quarter life crisis, I know I have to do something big. My big idea is to move to a new place and start over. I’ve narrowed it down to 2 dream cities with more dream locations to be added later:
I’m currently a member of LinkedIn, Brazen Careerist and Twitter but before these were around, I was a member of PartyEastCarolina.com (which is currently down) This was my original social media place because I didn’t even have MySpace then (I didn’t see the point of myspace) but this message board was THE place to be for East Carolina students. I pretty much made all my “in real life” good friends from this site including one of my best friends. I’m pretty much hoping that I can do this again with different networking sites. I plan on going to tweetups when I actually get to Austin and to try some new activities like actually going to a class at a gym to meet some new peeps.
I’m friendly so that must mean I can make friends right? Well we can only hope…
What do you think are good ways to make new friends when relocating to a new area?