SO… On Saturday I attended a cool “unconference” called Product Camp RTP.
It was an unstructured free conference where attendees got to vote on what panels they wanted to see from the open call for submissions. Some of the topics that were submitted for discussion included how to work with your sales team, public resources that are available to businesses, how to stay motivated, why most marketing sucks, and a career transition panel.
The event was full of a wide range of people including the unemployed (me), IT professionals, business owners and homemakers. Each person had something to bring to the group; be it connecting with a blogger, getting new business or just meeting someone you followed on Twitter. Read the rest of this entry »
I’m not a fan of BET. I’ve actually spent years NOT watching it at all but now they are playing old skool movies that I like so I tune in occasionally. I guess the BET Awards are coming up in a few weeks according to the commercials and black people are upset because Justin Bieber has been nominated for an award.
Honestly, the only reason I’m familiar with Bieber is because he is usually a trending topic on Twitter so I decided to see what the heck the hype was about. For those who don’t know (or who have been living under a rock like me) he’s a cute 16 year old Canadian, Platinum song singing, pop star who was signed by Usher. Read the rest of this entry »
I’m a bit late on posting my May goals but that’s because I accomplished my biggest goal for the month, I moved to Raleigh on May 10!
Here’s a recap of my goals from last month:
- Sell my stuff. I sold my big furniture for way less money than I wanted but oh well, I got it sold! I made many trips to Salvation Army with bags of clothes and little items. I was sad to see everything go but what had to be done was done. Unfortunately, my little car still didn’t hold everything so I have an appointment to pick up the rest of my things in Maryland in June.
- Figure out my skills I wasn’t really able to find that quiet time I needed to do this. I will work on this later this week.
- Walk more. I did this kind of… I got a little bit of walking done while moving my things and filling my car. My new roommates do actually walk so I will be able to join them.
My goals for May (even though it’s halfway over)
- Job hunt! While I’m enjoying my free time of being able to see my friends from the old days with just a drive, I really enjoy working and making money. So I am constantly applying for jobs and already have some networking events on my calendar.
- Blog more It really should not have taken me this long to blog this month. I have nothing but time on my hands right now and I should be focusing on getting meaningful posts in along the way. Read the rest of this entry »
SO… It’s almost May and haven’t blogged much because I’ve been so freaking busy. Here’s a recap of my life in JUST the last two weeks: I put in my notice at work. My (not) boyfriend got laid off at his job (Last Tuesday). I’m having a yard sale to sell all my stuff tomorrow. (on a business’s property since I’ve been kicked off my own lawn) The (not) boyfriend has already gotten a job (got an offer today). Same company, different position, and his dream location. (lucky him!!)
The voice in my head is screaming: “WHAT ABOUT ME??? Read the rest of this entry »
SO…Recently, I brought up the fact that I am Black when I was speaking with Penelope Trunk and that I had taken all racially identifying items off my resume to make sure I had a level playing field. She was a little speechless but awesome about it. I just shocked her world a little because she had to change her mental picture of me in her head. She didn’t realize I am Black. She even started a discussion on Brazen Careerist about it and this comment comes up:
“This girl is so convinced that race will cut her chances that she didn’t even let Penelope, her mentor, know that she’s black.”
I guess I don’t understand WHY I should be forced to have some grand “announcement” that I’m Black. Read the rest of this entry »
Here is a quick recap of my goals from March and how I did:
1. Figure out where I want to live. Raleigh – Moving in with my best friend and her mom
2. BLOG MORE! Still working on this one. I did increase my frequency this month.
3. Review the books I’m reading. I haven’t finished Parachute but I did finish “A Little Bit Married” and I will be reviewing that later this week.
4. Take better/more pictures. I took some awesome pictures at the St. Patrick’s Day Parade (http://www.flickr.com/photos/40985145@N03/sets/72157623445184753/)
5. Be Nicer….to Everyone Working on it and I hope others are too.
Now it’s time to talk about April! 1 month closer to my move!
- 1. Sell my stuff. Despite my love affair, I’m going to sell a lot of my possessions, including my bed. I realized that I can’t keep dragging material things around with me and it’s not worth the hassle trying to move everything.
2. Figure out my skills I know I want to help people but what skills do I have that can help me do this and will translate into a job? I’m off on Weds so I’m going to do the Flower Exercise in “What Color is Your Parachute” while I have some quiet time.
3. Walk more. I honestly get winded going up stairs. I need to get in shape and walking will be the first step in helping me AND I can get outside to enjoy the wonderful sunshine!
4. Bug Penelope for more help on my resume PT was helping me with my resume a few months ago and we made some great progress but I think we’ve both gotten away from it so with the BIG move coming up, I’m sure I will need her (and everyone else’s) help.
To participate in the meet-up:
1. Post a list of your career/life related goals for the current month, along with your checked off goals from the last month if you’d like, on your own blog.
2. Come back to BrazenCareerist.com network and leave a link to your post in the comments (*If you don’t have your own blog, feel free to share your list here in the comments to join in!)
3. Then, check out everyone else’s lists as they leave comments – click their links, visit their blogs, say hello, meet, greet and support each other because that’s what it’s all about!
This morning, lots of women dressed up SUPER nicely for Easter service. Was pantyhose part of your wardrobe? From church to the job interview, the pantyhose question is thrown back and forth endlessly. Looking on the web, it seems that pantyhose is a great topic of debate for women (and sometimes the men chime in) but it looks like there is only one true answer* that all should follow. Here are a few articles from each side:
I decided to take my pantyhose fears to the wonderful people at on last Monday’s #jobhuntchat (super awesome/smart/funny/insightful people). Here’s some of the convo:
sjhalestorm : @HappyWalks, I don’t generally wear pantyhose to interviews. Usually. #JobHuntChat
MsCareerGirl @HappyWalks:Q4- My answer? Hose are an interview MUST regardless of the weather. #jobhuntchat
JennSchooley @HappyWalks If I’m wearing pants, I buy a bunch of nude knee highs. Still professional and comfortable!
Workchic @HappyWalks Do not wear them if you feel uncomfortable wearing them. That will show through in your interview! #jobhuntchat
MegSaid Depends on job and city and time of year. RT @HappyWalks: so no answer on the pantyhose lol? I hate it so I don’t wear it
LaurenGav @HappyWalks Pantyhose is geo dependent; yes up north and even in Cali not so much in the south. #jobchat
JasmineBrooks1 @HappyWalks Purchase sheer pantyhose #jobhuntchat
talentline411 @Infoployment @MsCareerGirl @HappyWalks Worked with a senior recruiter who vehemently insisted women should wear hose 2 intervu #jobhuntchat
bitty_boop Me either lol RT @HappyWalks: @MsCareerGirl what if the hose doesn’t match your skin? Nude is actually not nude on me lol #jobhuntchat
MsCareerGirl @HappyWalks I don’t think they have to match your skin. I almost always wear black tights and I am pale as Casper the ghost.#JobHuntChat Q4
*So my answer that I’ve gotten out of all this is:
If you are going to feel out of place by not wearing them, do it. If you are like me and can’t stand them, don’t wear them. If someone turns me down for a job because I wasn’t wearing pantyhose, I’m sure I wouldn’t want to work for them long term anyway. As women, we are judged for SO many things on the job hunt but pantyhose shouldn’t be one of them! Let the real you shine through instead of being worried about if you picked the right color pantyhose that morning!
What do you say about pantyhose? Yay or Nay?
FYI: Panty & Hose are two very fun words to say outloud
I love to drive. I always forget about this fact until I’m in my car, shades on, music blaring, going 50 down the highway. Every time my car has broken down, I’ve gotten a little depressed. It’s not always about the cost of repair (unless I need ANOTHER new engine) it’s more about the fact of giving up control of my life. What if I want to go see a movie/shop/run away? Oh, I can’t because my car is in the shop and I’m at the mercy of my mechanic. It’s scary! Thinking about this reminds me that only I can control my life. I can either get in the car and drive or I can continue to let others drive me around. My drive/ride will always be changing. I may not always like the scenery outside of my window so I can stay or I can get the heck out of there.
I’m also in charge of who rides with me on my drive. I honestly got a 4 door car with my friends in mind. I wanted to be able to pick them up if they needed me to and I want to have room for as many people as safely possible. When my friends ride, we either agree or compromise on the destination. Sometimes it’s perfectly ok to sit back and let others drive. We all need to remember that sometimes but you have to trust that the person driving is going to take you where you both wanted to go.
So I’m excited right now to find some new roads that I haven’t gone down yet and hopefully one of these roads will lead me to where I need to be. For now, I’m just enjoying the drive.
This is a post inspired by Samantha over at Life is Like a Box of Chocolates http://ow.ly/1nl4i
Here are 10 random things you may or may not know about me
My boyfriend and I set up a dinner menu every week and only shop on Sundays. We were tired of playing the “What do you want for dinner?” game every night in the middle of the supermarket. It actually works and lets you explore new recipes because you already have everything you need before the day you actually need it.
I like to paint my toes crazy colors. I usually don’t wear anything but clear nail polish on my hands but on my toes I go crazy with pinks, blues, yellows and the like.
I wear a size 11 shoe. That means I have super big feet. It’s usually really hard for me to find cute cheap shoes. I’m not at a place in my life where I spend a ton on shoes so it sucks! Usually if a store does carry my size, they are sold out because everyone is having the same problem I am!
I’ve worn makeup once in my life…my junior prom. I have no idea what I’m supposed to do with it. When I move, I think that’s going to change since I will be living in a house with 2 other women.
I’m not scared of roller coasters but I refuse to ride them. I’m not a small woman and I know coasters were not built to safely hold me and I’d rather not die/get stuck. So I will stay off of them until I’m their “safe” weight.
I ran the Olympic Torch for the winter Olympic when I was a Junior in High School. I was working with Students Against Violence Everywhere & the Chevy Rock Program. I was chosen to run in Washington D.C. My school bought the torch and I got a page in the Year Book. Unfortunately, my parents were told to stand on the wrong street and never got to see me run it. It was honestly my greatest accomplishment.
I’m an Army Brat. My MOM was an E8 (1st Sergeant y’all) in the Army and I have lived in Ft. Lewis (Tacoma)Washington; Kaiserslautern (K-Town), Germany; Ft. Hood, Texas; Darmstadt, Germany; and Ft. Huachuca (Sierra Vista), AZ until my mom retired. Going from Army bases to the “real world” was a huge culture shock for me.
I’m a night person but I’m currently working on becoming a morning person. It’s hard but it’s a work in progress. It’s REALLY hard to wake up at 6 am when there is snow all over the ground and you have to clean off your car! Thankfully Spring is almost here!
I quit my 365 photo project because I was taking pictures of stupid things just to make my midnight deadline. I haven’t put down my camera; I just want to be able to think about my shot before I take it. I hope that will be one small step in making me a better photographer.
I’m super scared of swimming in the ocean. I can’t go too far out into the water because I’m scared I will get sucked into the undertow. I almost drowned in the deep end of the pool when I was younger and I’m guessing I never fully gained back my confidence in my swimming abilities.
Now you know some strange things about me, give me 5-10 things I don’t know about you! You can leave it here in the comments or post a link to it on your own blog so I can check it out. Enjoy!
It’s time to kick back and watch some great upsets, sweet Cinderella stories, and cheer on your favorite team. As usual, my college team (ECU Pirates) is not going to make it to the “Big Dance” but I still enjoy watching. The only problem for me is since I no longer live in a true “college town” the atmosphere isn’t the same. When we go to a bar, the air isn’t thick with excitement and we get strange looks when we ask for hockey to be turned off so we can watch a game. It’s not like I live in Canada (just kidding eh) and hockey is on the brain, it’s just that people in my area are no longer into college sports period thanks to all the problems with the Binghamton University Men’s Basketball program. http://www.pressconnects.com/article/99999999/NEWS01/91014035?template=theme&theme=bucoach
I’m sure if I drove to Syracuse, it would be a different story because they have a #1 Seed in the tournament and they are going to showing basketball nonstop. They are happy.
So for now, until next year when I’m in Raleigh for March Madness, I will plant my butt on the couch in front of the 52’’ flat screen and enjoy being who I am in the nonjudgmental zone of my house.
Oh and see if you can kick my butt or will get your butt kicked: Join my Yahoo! Sports Tournament Pick’em group, “TwitterBlender” http://y.ahoo.it/oXTdNb8B