Archive for the ‘goals’ tag
I’m a bit late on posting my May goals but that’s because I accomplished my biggest goal for the month, I moved to Raleigh on May 10!
Here’s a recap of my goals from last month:
- Sell my stuff. I sold my big furniture for way less money than I wanted but oh well, I got it sold! I made many trips to Salvation Army with bags of clothes and little items. I was sad to see everything go but what had to be done was done. Unfortunately, my little car still didn’t hold everything so I have an appointment to pick up the rest of my things in Maryland in June.
- Figure out my skills I wasn’t really able to find that quiet time I needed to do this. I will work on this later this week.
- Walk more. I did this kind of… I got a little bit of walking done while moving my things and filling my car. My new roommates do actually walk so I will be able to join them.
My goals for May (even though it’s halfway over)
- Job hunt! While I’m enjoying my free time of being able to see my friends from the old days with just a drive, I really enjoy working and making money. So I am constantly applying for jobs and already have some networking events on my calendar.
- Blog more It really should not have taken me this long to blog this month. I have nothing but time on my hands right now and I should be focusing on getting meaningful posts in along the way. Read the rest of this entry »
Here is a quick recap of my goals from March and how I did:
1. Figure out where I want to live. Raleigh – Moving in with my best friend and her mom
2. BLOG MORE! Still working on this one. I did increase my frequency this month.
3. Review the books I’m reading. I haven’t finished Parachute but I did finish “A Little Bit Married” and I will be reviewing that later this week.
4. Take better/more pictures. I took some awesome pictures at the St. Patrick’s Day Parade (http://www.flickr.com/photos/40985145@N03/sets/72157623445184753/)
5. Be Nicer….to Everyone Working on it and I hope others are too.
Now it’s time to talk about April! 1 month closer to my move!
- 1. Sell my stuff. Despite my love affair, I’m going to sell a lot of my possessions, including my bed. I realized that I can’t keep dragging material things around with me and it’s not worth the hassle trying to move everything.
2. Figure out my skills I know I want to help people but what skills do I have that can help me do this and will translate into a job? I’m off on Weds so I’m going to do the Flower Exercise in “What Color is Your Parachute” while I have some quiet time.
3. Walk more. I honestly get winded going up stairs. I need to get in shape and walking will be the first step in helping me AND I can get outside to enjoy the wonderful sunshine!
4. Bug Penelope for more help on my resume PT was helping me with my resume a few months ago and we made some great progress but I think we’ve both gotten away from it so with the BIG move coming up, I’m sure I will need her (and everyone else’s) help.
To participate in the meet-up:
1. Post a list of your career/life related goals for the current month, along with your checked off goals from the last month if you’d like, on your own blog.
2. Come back to BrazenCareerist.com network and leave a link to your post in the comments (*If you don’t have your own blog, feel free to share your list here in the comments to join in!)
3. Then, check out everyone else’s lists as they leave comments - click their links, visit their blogs, say hello, meet, greet and support each other because that’s what it’s all about!
I had to order checks this week. I realized I only had 4 checks left and I wasn’t going to make it through until my personal move out date of mid-April.
Ordering checks made me think about how quickly money leaves my hands and how that can’t be the case for much longer. I enjoy buying little things for people to brighten up their day. I bought cupcakes for my coworkers on Friday because we all had a pretty crappy month last month. I buy fun things for my boyfriend like his favorite gum or NC State stuff to make him smile. (I’m guessing this isn’t working btw since we are ending our relationship.)
Well I’m over it. I realize that I’m buying things to make ME feel better, not them. I wanted cupcakes I didn’t care about everyone else. Yes, they enjoyed them but so what? I need to be saving for my move not trying to make everyone in my office happy for 10 minutes.
Because I’m so far away from my parents (Mom’s in VA, Dad’s in NC) and I have a huge fear of driving large vehicles, I’m going to get some sort of moving cube to move all my stuff. It seems pointless to me to try to drive a U-Haul with my car attached when I don’t even like driving an SUV. I’m hoping I can fit all of my things in my car and in this cube thing. I already know it’s going to cost me a ton but it’s practical and I need practical to reach my goal of leaving NY.
When you have a goal, sometimes you have to do things you don’t want to. This sometimes includes not spending any money on making yourself feel better just because you are down and taking the baby steps towards actually making your goal come true. Achieving your dreams will be the ultimate payoff! So stop sitting there….go mail me some cookies or start making your own goals come true.